Being healthy is a major necessity of every human being. This can obviously be maintained only through healthy food and healthy life routine. If you bring changes in your diet and regular physical activity. It can prevent majority of the health issues we face regularly.
When it comes to diet, the ease of availability, less preparation time, ready-to-go packed foods are making our lives much easier. Thus making the junk food the first choice of our generation. But do we know how it affects our health and brain functions in the long run?
Why is junk food unhealthy?
Junk food contains a large number of calories from sugar or fat with little fibre, protein, vitamins or minerals. It can also be defined as pre-prepared or packaged food that has low nutritional value.
This affects a lot to the health of human being irrespective of age group and gender.
- Diet which is high in saturated and Trans fats from foods like French fries, cheese burger, or processed food can increase the risk of heart disease, high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Too much sodium increases the risk of kidney disease and high blood pressure.
- Junk food can negatively affect your memory.
- When your digestive system breaks down. The foods like drinks and sides which are loaded with carbohydrates with little to no fiber, the carbs are released as glucose (sugar) into your bloodstream. As a result blood sugar increases.
- It increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases due to the lack of essential nutrients, vitamins, iron, minerals and dietary fibers and rich in saturated fat, sodium and bad cholesterol.
- Sugar can lead to obesity.
The more junk food you consume, the less likely you are to consume the essential nutrients that your body relies on. These food contain a lot of fats, carbohydrates and processed sugar and lack of protein and energy. So, the consumption of junk food can make you exhaustive and increases your craving for food.
Moreover, it doesn’t only affect the health condition it also affect the lifestyle of a human being. More amount of fast food consumption from outside means a fewer number of dinners at home together which influences the family cohesiveness. Sitting all together and eating in home creates a bond between parents and children and allows everyone to be in a relaxed environment, which is not at all possible in the noisy, frenetic atmosphere at a fast food restaurant.
Researchers has proved that there is no problem in eating junk food every once in a while. So, Occasional consumption is well and good. As long as you are eating in moderation, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. But, whenever we get time we should opt for healthy food than junk food.