Endoscopy is a nonsurgical procedure used to examine a person’s digestive tract. Using an endoscope, a flexible tube with a light and camera attached to it, your doctor can view pictures of your digestive tract on a video monitor.
With flexible endoscopy , we will be able to directly visualise and diagnose various anal, rectal and colonic conditions like ulcerative colitis, crohn’s disease, cancers, diverticulosis, polyps.
It also forms a very effective surveillance tool for Colon and rectal Cancer’s and hence forms a very important tool in the hands of a colo rectal surgeon.An endoscopy might be recommended to investigate the following symptoms:
- difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- persistent abdominal pain
- chest pain that isn’t caused by heart-related conditions
- persistent nausea and vomiting
- unexplained weight loss
- vomiting blood
- persistent diarrhoea
- blood in your stools
If the gullet (oesophagus), stomach or first part of the small intestine needs to be examined, it’s known as a gastroscopy.Advantages of Endoscopy:
- Various polpys can be snared or removed from the colon with ease.
- Various foreign bodies can be effectively dealt with the help of endoscopes.
- Various Biopsies can be taken to aid in the diagnosis of suspected lesions.
- Relieve Sigmoid Volvulus, a life threatening condition, which can avoid surgery.