Sitz bath for Hemorrhoids, Fissure, Fistula, Constipation & other ano rectal issues
What is a Sitz bath?
A sitz bath or hip bath is a warm bath where you sit in water up to the hips that cleanses the perineum, the area between the rectum and the vulva or scrotum. This bath can help in bringing relief for people with pain, swelling, irritation or inflammation in the perineum. as explained by best hemorrhoids doctor of SIICP.
It is also a way of bathing the genitals that can help to relieve burning and soreness.
Hence, we can say that sitz bath can be valuable for individuals who have issues in the butt-centric region, for example, hemorrhoids, or a disease in the anogenital region. It can give relief to ladies after vaginal childbirth.
How to take Sitz bath?
The different ways of taking a sitz bath are taking it in the bathtub and using a kit. Soak up to 10 to 15 minutes for three times a day.
>> Taking sitz bath in the bathtub
Steps on how to take a sitz bath in the bathtub:
- Clean the tub by blending 2 tablespoons of bleach with a ½ gallon of water.
- Make sure that the tub is filled 3 to 4 inches of water. The water should be warm but not hot enough to cause burns or discomfort.
- Sit in the tub, making sure your perineum is covered.
- Afterward, gently pat the area with a clean cotton towel. Don’t cause pain and irritation by rubbing or scrubbing the perineum.
- Rinse the tub thoroughly.
>> Taking sitz bath using a kit
A plastic sitz bath normally comes as a kit that can be fitted to a standard toilet. Rinse the kit with clean water. Then, add warm but not hot water along with medications or solutions prescribed by a doctor.
- Place the sitz bath in the open toilet
- Test it by trying to move it from side to side to guarantee it will remain in the same place and won’t move.
- The sitz bath should be filled with warm water. You can add extra water without having to get up. The extra water comes from the tube of the plastic bag. Make sure the water is deep enough to cover your perineum.
- Most sitz baths prevent water from overflowing. The water conveniently overflows and can be flushed.
- Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the area when you are finished. Stand up and pat the area gently with a clean cotton towel.
- Prepare the sitz bath for its next use by cleaning it completely.
In spite of the fact that there are no guidelines for when to replace sitz bath, dependably check it for indications or signs of splitting or weakened areas everytime time before and after use.
What are the uses of Sitz bath?
People use sitz baths regularly to cleanse the perineum. Sitz baths benefits include
- keeping the anus clean
- improve hygiene
- reducing inflammation
- promote blood flow to the anogenital area
- healing perineal
- vaginal lacerations after vaginal childbirth
- Can advance quicker recuperating
- calms irritation, itching and minor pain
Why you should consider Sitz bath?
- Having recent surgery in the anogenital area.
- Having discomfort from hemorrhoids, when they push outside of the anus.
- Having given birth recently
- Having discomfort with bowel movements, such as diarrhea and constipation.
Both adults and children can use sitz baths. Parents need to supervise their children during a sitz bath.
Our doctors can help you by prescribing the right medications to put in a sitz bath.
Risk factors of Sitz bath
Taking sitz bath is harmless because it is a noninvasive treatment. The most well known adverse event associated with sitz baths is the infection of the perineum, but this rarely happens. This may also happen if you don’t clean the tub or plastic bath thoroughly.
If your perineum becomes red and puffy or if the pain or itching worsens stop using sitz baths and contact your doctor.
If sitz bath gives relief, you can take three or four per day, until the source of the itching, irritation or pain is healed. After having a sitz bath, you may immediately return to normal activities.